YouTube videos are a dynamic way to present information on your web site. Follow the instructions below to add a single YouTube video.
YouTube Video Block
For information on how to use YouTube, please read our YouTube Support page to learn how to obtain, convert, and submit your own videos to YouTube.
Follow this link to add a YouTube playlist to your web page.
Below is an example of what a YouTube video will look like on your site.
- Select YouTube titles and thumbnails that contextualize the video embed.
- Use only one YouTube block per page. Use a playlist when multiple videos are needed. (Multiple YouTube blocks slow page load time.)
- Ensure videos complement or enhance the page content goals.
- Strive to use videos as feature content, in a 50% or larger column width.
Adding a YouTube Video
This section will help you add a video from YouTube to your Web Press site.
- Use Web Press to navigate to the page you would like to add the video to.
- Click the dot for Open Row.
- Click the dot for Edit column contents.
- A new window will pop up, on this window you will select "Create and Connect Page".
- Under the new menu select "Media" under the "Content Class Groups".
- Choose YouTube Video Block under the "List of Content Classes" heading.
- Web Press will prompt you to Enter the headline. This headline will not appear outside of Web Press.
- Once you have entered the Headline for the YouTube Video Page and selected "OK", click the dot for Edit YouTube video properties".
- In the new window you will see the different options for your Video. The only one you'll need to fill out is the "YouTube video clip ID" field.
- To get the bit of the url that it requires go to the video on YouTube.com and copy and paste everything after the = sign in the url.
For Instance if the url of the video on YouTube was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyP-G2xZZeA you would copy wyP-G2xZZeA and paste it into the "YouTube video clip ID" field.
- Select OK and the video will appear on your page.
To embed a video from YouTube on your University website, please consider the source and copyright of the video, as well as whether it is available to be properly embedded on your website. Please review Missouri State's Copyright Policy for more information.
Editing YouTube Video Properties
This section will help you edit the YouTube Video Properties in Web Press by explaining the effect of each field.
- The Headline field only effects Internal Use in Web Press.
- The YouTube video clip ID field lets you determine which video plays.
- The Tagline alignment field lets you determine the alignment of the tagline.
- The Video player alignment field will let you align the Video to the specified area.
- The Video player size field allows you to change the size of the video to any of the preset values.
- The Custom video height field allows you to change the height of the video without changing the width of the video. This is useful if you have black space around you're video due to non-standard sized videos that you want to get rid of.
- The Tagline for movie field allows you to enter a short description or caption for the video.
- The Autoplay field allows you to specify that the video should begin playing automatically once it is loaded.
- The Play Video in HD field allows you to play the HD version, if one was uploaded to YouTube.com.
- The Show Related Videos drop down box lets you choose to have a related list of video selections appear after your video has played through.